The congregation supports financially, and individual Presbyterians are active in virtually every organization and activity in Kent County which works for the alleviation of poverty and human suffering. In Kent, Queen Anne’s, and Cecil Counties, Maryland we connect with our neighbors through:
- Backpack Program (supporting youth at Kent County public schools with nutritious meals for the weekends and school holidays)
- Community Food Pantry
- Good Neighbor Fund (helping neighbors with emergency needs)
- Samaritan Shelter (we are a “host” site for the shelter for one month each winter)
- Deep Roots at Clairvaux Farm (supporting families experiencing homelessness)
- Knitting Group supports local nursing homes, hospice, and food pantry
- Rebuilding Together, Kent Co. MD (improving housing for our neighbors – their office is in our building.)
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, please check the Church Calendar for the most up-to-date opportunities.
- Three members met with Minary’s Dream Alliance members and the Unitarian Universalist congregation to explore opportunities to partner in hands-on projects, including providing meals and snacks, transportation, tutors, yard work, and adopting families at Christmas. We also talked about applying for an Ignite grant.
- The Backpack Program is back up and packing.
- Matthew 25 Task Force invited the congregation to gather after worship for food and feedback on October 17th. The Task Force moderated the discussion and used feedback to help make a recommendation to the Session on becoming a Matthew 25 Congregation.
- Watch for news about our annual Mitten Tree Community Outreach Project in next month’s newsletter!