The congregation supports financially, and individual Presbyterians are active in virtually every organization and activity in Kent County which works for the alleviation of poverty and human suffering. In Kent, Queen Anne’s, and Cecil Counties, Maryland we connect with our neighbors through:
- Backpack Program (supporting youth at the Kent Middle School with nutritious meals for the weekends and school holidays)
- Community Food Pantry
- Good Neighbor Fund (helping neighbors with emergency needs)
- Samaritan Shelter (we are a “host” site for the shelter for one month each winter)
- Deep Roots at Clairvaux Farm (supporting families experiencing homelessness)
- “Knitting Group” supports local nursing homes, Hospice, and Food Pantry
- Rebuilding Together, Kent Co. MD (improving housing for our neighbors – their office is in our building.)
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, please check the Church Calendar for the most up-to-date opportunities.
Our Session has approved an initiative to explore becoming a Matthew 25 church. Development began at the 2016 General Assembly to invite individual congregations, presbyteries, synods, and other groups. The Mission Committee feels that PCC is already living in the vision of Matthew 25. The focus is to provide support for ministries that create vital congregations, eradicate systemic poverty, and dismantle structural racism. A small group will explore ways in which we meet these needs and ways in which we can do more. The plan is to report back to the Mission Committee and Session over the next few months. There will be opportunities in the future to add your input and this is a start. Next month we hope to have more information and a new initiative for our youth.